Get the Best Alternative to Thunderbird

The Best Thunderbird Alternative for Windows in 2020

Posted by Christin on August 3, 2020

Thunderbird alternative for Windows

Marketing Manager

Published on August 3, 2020

Thunderbird — created by Mozilla, the organization behind Firefox — has been a popular email client with a loyal following over the years, despite threats of halting updates and further development of the application. While Thunderbird email is a powerful app with a robust library of add-on features that allow for full customization of your email experience, Mozilla no longer supports it, and that can be an issue for a lot of users.

While there are tons of Thunderbird email reviews, good and bad, this article will be useful for those looking for a Thunderbird alternative.

While some may enjoy the added functionalities, others may find this difficult and complicated to set up. Also, Thunderbird’s interface may not be as user-friendly as other email clients out there, including those that have just as many (if not more) advanced features.

For these reasons, you may be considering alternatives to the Thunderbird email client. Whether you’re looking for an entirely new email client or switching from Thunderbird, we’ve compiled a review of five Windows options below to evaluate in place of Thunderbird.

Since Thunderbird is a downloadable program for PCs and Apple OS, we won’t be including mobile apps in this review. Keep reading to find a Thunderbird replacement that works for you.

The 4 Best Alternatives to Thunderbird Mail

If you are looking for a Thunderbird alternative, here you will find a review of the following:

• Mailbird — a powerful and feature-packed app
  • eM Client — a simple design and user-friendly interface
  • Postbox — a beautifully designed interface
  • Webmail — any web-based email manager

Mailbird

Thunderbird alternative — Mailbird

Mailbird is a well-known email client for Windows that has quickly developed a reputation for being a powerful, feature-packed application that’s beautifully designed for a quick, easy user experience.

Setup is simple and only takes five minutes to learn how to navigate the app. You can also customize your layout and color theme to design an experience that’s ideal for you.

The reason Mailbird has become the top Thunderbird replacement is the many third-party app integrations. Users can connect Mailbird to Facebook, Twitter, WhatsApp, Google Drive/Calendar/Photos, Dropbox, Evernote, Asana, Veeting Rooms, and a whole host of other apps. This level of connectivity turns Mailbird into more than just an email client — it’s an all-in-one communication platform.

Beyond this, Mailbird also has many email features worth mentioning:

• You can sync multiple accounts from any provider with their Unified Inbox, which was upgraded with color indicators for easier navigation and email management.
  • Its native calendar helps effectively manage all your events from all your accounts in the same interface.
  • The snooze feature allows you to snooze emails and contacts until a later time that suits your focus better.
  • In-line reply automatically formats replies with a name and color, so you can respond directly in messages.

These are just a few — there are so many more! If you’re looking to increase productivity and communicate more effectively, Mailbird is the way to go.

Mailbird vs Thunderbird. Give It a Free Try Now!

Try Mailbird for Free

eM Client

eM Client Thunderbird email alternative
Credit: eM Client

eM Client is another highly rated alternative to Thunderbird mail. Users praise its simple design and user-friendly interface that allows for customization of layout and theme. It offers the most features for free compared to other options; the only differences are that the Pro version lets you connect an unlimited number of accounts and includes tech support. The free version only supports two email accounts.

Migrating to eM Client is quick and easy, and it can transfer your messages and contacts from a variety of other common email clients, including Gmail, Exchange, iCloud, and Outlook.com. It also has a real-time chat function for instant messaging — you can even send attachments through it! Some other notable features include automatic translation of emails, a fast search function, and encryption options.

Postbox

Thunderbird email alternative - Postbox
Credit: Postbox-Inc.

Postbox is one of the easiest-to-use Thunderbird replacement clients on this list. It works with any POP/IMAP account, including Gmail, Hotmail, Yahoo, and more. Once you’ve added your accounts, you can group them, in “personal” and “work” groups for example, to keep your email organized.

The application’s filtering and tagging features allow you to get even more organized — all on a beautifully designed interface. You even have emoji support, 25 email signature templates, and 70 professionally written email response templates at your disposal.

It’s important to note that Postbox also includes a number of integrations with services like Evernote, Slack, Todoist, and more.

Webmail

Even in a Mozilla Thunderbird review, webmail is always worth mentioning as an alternative. What do we mean by webmail? It’s a web-based email client — Gmail, Yahoo, Outlook.com (not to be confused with the Outlook application) are the most popular options.

Most email providers have some sort of web-based email offering that has a few advantages over email applications. Most importantly, you can access your inbox from any computer and on any browser. You don’t need to download an app to your computer.

On the other hand, you cannot access your email offline, and web-based email clients don’t typically have as many features as desktop apps. It will be important to weigh the benefits and drawbacks of webmail against your needs before deciding to go this route.

Conclusion

Have you found a Thunderbird alternative that suits your requirements for the perfect email client?

If you’re a light user, Postbox or web mail might be the best choice. For more advanced users, consider Mailbird or eM Client. If you need to manage multiple email accounts together with events, tasks, and other tools, Mailbird will help you turn your email app into a productivity workstation with many useful features and an intuitive interface.

At the very least, it can’t hurt to try a few options to see which one you like the best!

Declutter your email with the best alternative to Thunderbird

Try Mailbird for Free

Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in December 2015 and has been updated for accuracy and comprehensiveness.

What email client is better than Thunderbird?

There are several alternative email clients for Thunderbird, and one of the best is Mailbird. This email client is very powerful and packed with many features that ensure a quick, easy user experience. In addition, many third-party apps can be integrated with Mailbird.

Is Thunderbird discontinued?

Mozilla decided to hand off Thunderbird to the community back in 2014. Though the email client is still supported by Mozilla Foundation, it may be a good opportunity to move on to new email clients, such as Mailbird or another top alternative.

Is Thunderbird better than Outlook?

Since Thunderbird is open-source and no longer supported by Mozilla, Outlook may be deemed a more secure option. However, both apps have a rather cluttered design and functionality.

If you’re looking for a simple yet powerful email client for Windows, try Mailbird.

Is Thunderbird mail safe to use?

Thunderbird mail is a moderately safe email client. However, keep in mind that Thunderbird is an open-source app and is no longer supported and upgraded by Mozilla.

If you’re looking for a secure and continuously improved email client, download Mailbird and take it for a trial run.

Marketing Manager

Published on August 3, 2020

RELATED ARTICLES

41 thoughts on "The Best Thunderbird Alternative for Windows in 2020"

realraven2000 says:

There is no need switching to Postbox – the code base of Thunderbird is still up to date (based on Gecko 38) and not 27 versions behind (AFAIK Postbox is based on Gecko 9.0). And development of Thunderbird is ongoing, and will be for the next couple of years, so I really don’t see why you would be looking for alternatives right now?

Ashley Glover says:

For me it is the way it looks and feels.
      It want it to look modern and less cluttered.
      Tabs for each email account would be amazing.

• Thunderbird 68.9.0 cannot make up its’ mind as to what font size to use in messages.

JustaNickname says:

I am with eMClient. Does the job really well.

• I moved to Thunderbird because eMClient was just getting too flaky with keeping the inbox refreshed and other glitches. Thunderbird has seemed much more reliable although it seems to be getting a little slow getting messages out at the moment. But still working well. I donate a little to it, seems like a good solid program.

David VANTYGHEM says:

Thunderbird development is still alive and the number of users is still growing. Thunderbird is the most secure and best messaging software, no raison to switch to another. Outlook ??? It’s a joke !

CoffeeExtremist says:

I don’t understand why Mozilla doesn’t see the unique value of Thunderbird. I use 5 different browsers in Windows and Android, and for what I do, they are all pretty much interchangeable. If Firefox disappeared, I would miss it very little. But no other email client compares to Thunderbird in terms of versatility and extensibility. Why does Mozilla focus all it’s attention on a commodity product like its browser, while neglecting a truly unique and useful product like Thunderbird? If it’s money, I’ve said many times I would pay a montly subscription service fee for Thunderbird.

Daniel Winter says:

The best email client for IMAP poweruses is TheBat. Insanely fast, too.

• what are these ‘resources’ all doing at Mozilla. Firefox is crap, TB is the only thing worth their time right now.

• I wish they merge Thunderbird in Firefox just like Opera.

• I want to download Thunderbird am disappointed to read this as seems a way better system. Will I be ok and updated downloading TB as I see most comments are year old.I have windows 10 ?

Christin Baumgarten says:

Hey Keawi, this blog here from Mailbird about TB..In order to get the best and most accurate answer we would suggest you get in touch with TB. In the meantime, feel free to give us a try. We are constantly working on making Mailbird better and keep it updated all the time:-) Let me know if you have any questions:-)

George Hamilton says:

I’m willing to bet some other organization will pick TB up and keep it going. Sadly, it might be someone might turn it into freemium or fully pay based software. I hope not that, but I do hope it gets picked up by some open development gurus, maybe some of the FireFox people who worked on it under them…I don’t know.

Christin Baumgarten says:

Thanks for your feedback George:-) Question is if TB wants to be bought up I guess…Have a great weekend and thanks for sharing your thoughts:-)

George Hamilton says:

Isn’t TB open source? And doesn’t that mean anyone is already free to pick it up and run with it, even if they have to give it a new name (Phoenix Rising?). Not sure how the intellectual property stuff works,

Anyone but Obama says:

Been trying to find out my passwords for Thundbird for months. Just can’t get to it. I follow instructions, but it’s nowhere to be found. I have to stop using TB because I can’t use it for my gmail account. Never had this problems many versions in the past. Nice job ‘improving’ with each version you effing morons.

• I have been having problems with my passwords also. It’s not your server or you it’s Thunderbird they periodically cause the passwords to fail. They won’t recognize them as valid. Today I had all of my email passwords fail which is heartbreaking because my life is on there and it was so nice to go to one place to get all my emails.

• It’s pretty sad that they are using tactics like blocking passwords to try and get people to move on their own and then blame it on the servers. I am in search of a service like Thunderbird which is how I found this page.

• I loved Thunderbird until TB 60 came out. They’re making every theme worth using incompatible, especially the complete themes which make it so much easier to use. If they had to get rid of them, the least they could have done was provide more options than a solid white or solid black theme or the default which is white too. The screen is so darn boring now that I nod off when checking my emails. TB needs to allow complete themes or create some decent ones themselves or they’re going to lose a ton of users.

Thomas Tankengine says:

Thunderbird is great. Maybe some of youse big-time “power-users” need something better but for your average Joe it works just fine. I been using it for years with NO problems at all. Lucky me, eh?

• Good summary of alternatives. Thank you. I checked this site because TB is behaving oddly. After update 2 days ago spellcheck now identifies a huge range of regularly used words as ‘mis-spelt’; words like actions, customers and so on. Most ‘errors’ are simply plurals, but not all. I have tried to log on to Support but get password error. Have requested reminder of password and entered my regular email address but although it says ‘reminder sent’, nothing arrives. All very frustrating. Apologies for this minor rant! TB had been great for many years and entirely trouble-free until now.

• There seems to be no mention of security in any of these suggestions. When you are providing an email client the credentials for your email accounts it would be good to know the security policy.

of course you could go to each client page and look it up but it just seems like something to consider when recommending something like a mail client.

George Gasik says:

Mailbird is crap. It’s not ready for public sale yet. You can’t even sort by columns. You can’t even HAVE columns. Do NOT throw your money away on this garbage.

Eldridge C Koppen says:

I agree–I’d heard it was good, so paid for the subscription, and have nothing but trouble. They always blame something else, and don’t even seem to be able to answer the simplest questions without several back and forths. I’d tried e-mail client a bit, but so many people complained about it, I bailed. Oh, if only MS hadn’t shafted us and dumped WLM.

• As an email program, Thunderbird has no equal. And it allows you to send HTML email with inline CSS without messing it up. I battle with computers all day, but Thunderbird has never let me down.

• On the strength of this article I had a look at mailbird as an alternative to Thunderbird. I wouldn’t have bothered if this article had mentioned that mailbird watermarks emails and has ads in the free version.

• I do not know whether it’s just me or if perhaps
    everybody else experiencing issues with your website. It appears as though some of the written text on your posts are running off the screen. Can spmebody else
    please comment and let me know if this is happening to them as
    well? This may be a issue with my internet browser because I’ve had this happen before.
    Thanks

• The web forums are full of users having unstability problems with TB in 2019-2020 on certain ourgoing servers. That may be the reason why I and many others are looking for alternatives. I dont care who’s fault it is, other email clients do not have these problems.

Mick Strand says:

Exactly. Instead of spending hours trying to solve the matters with Thunderbird (I did), I discovered after having read countless forums that users seldom posted any solutions. They all finally, like me, moved to another client. Problem solved.

Roy Mepham says:

I signed up for Mailbird a couple of years ago but had to cancel because they had not included any sort of spam filtering. It turns out that they still haven’t so I shall not be considering this useless program. I know how to use server side functions but why should I have to?

• Andrew @ Mailbird
      Andrew @ Mailbird says:

Hello Roy,
      Thank you for your comment, indeed we do not have a native spam filter implemented at the moment and no further ETA on this but we see increasing demand so we may consider implementing it in the future. Thanks!

Vincent LaVallee says:

I have been a very long time user of Thunderbird and it predecessor Netscape, where Mozilla provided the email portion of Netscape before the separated, and Netscape went the way of the Dodo bird! So, this goes back to the 80s.

As far as others aving issues with TB, I can guess that they upgraded from version 60 to 68, which is another beast, and it did not even work with my POP3 email, so I stayed on version 60.9, which is probably the last version made by Mozilla. My versions works near perfectly, and it is far better in the user interface and ease of use than all other email programs, including Outlook (and I do not outlook.com, which is not an email client, but is a web based email).

I would also like to comment on some of the user comments in here, especially about the relatively poor support of Mailbird. As an example, a reply to Joseph was “We do not waterboard emails and we actually do not have a free version.” This is a horrible response, and clearly a support person venting his/her anger, and taking it out on the customer. A much better and more agreeable response would be something like “We do not do any waterboarding, so if you could, please send me a snap shot so we can see what you mean. And as for a ‘free’ version, we only offer a 30 Day free trial, but this is the full fledged product and we do not degrade it in any way.” And if there are really ads in Mailbird, or not, the response should have address that also. Letting technical people ‘talk to’ customers directly is often a no-no.

Lastly, since Mozilla is no longer supporting TB, I was considering Mailbird as a replacement, but the negative comments in here and the clearly non-customer oriented support responses have, for now, steered me away. In addition, TB works great for me still, as long as I stay away from the ‘latest’ versions.

• Hi Vincent,

Thank you for sharing your thought and feedback. We will do our best to improve our support quality. Yes, some of our users not satisfied with the support they received, but we are doing our best to help our users to resolve any issue that they experience.

I can assure you that any request and feedback, either it’s a good one or the bad one will be in our note and will be talked in regular meetings of the support team.

As that being said, I hope someday you will change your mind and want to try and use Mailbird. Thank you for your interest in Mailbird. Have a nice day and stay safe. 🙂