Get the Best Alternative to Thunderbird

Why Is Mailbird the Best Alternative to Thunderbird in 2020?

Posted by Christin on July 29, 2020

Best alternative to Thunderbird

Marketing Manager

Published on July 29, 2020

Change is good, even for your email. Now that Mozilla has abandoned Thunderbird, it’s time to move on to the best alternative for you to stay on top of your emails.

Currently, the best alternatives to Thunderbird are:

• Mailbird
  • Microsoft Outlook
  • eM Client
  • ProtonMail
  • Opera Mail
  • Sea Monkey
  • Evolution
  • Postbox
  • Zoho Mail
  • Airmail
  • Mailspring
  • Knowmail
  • Zimbra

Let’s look at why Mailbird has been the best alternative to Thunderbird for thousands of users already.

Mailbird vs. Thunderbird

Having a clean interface in front of you coupled with an interaction that makes managing your online communication easier is a sweet deal.

Mailbird is super easy to use and promises you will be able to master it within five minutes. A great email experience is what you should strive for, and Mailbird gives you exactly that.

Mailbird - the best alternative to Thunderbird

“I’ve purchased Mailbird for my old mother as well, as it’s easy to use. She’s not in anyway computer savvy, but last weekend I actually got an email from her – the first ever, imagine my (very pleasant) surprise! 🙂 For me Mailbird is a keeper – easy to use and most importantly easy to configure!! My 80 year old mom is a testament to that.” Lars – May 12.

We will be looking at the following areas to see if Mailbird is the best alternative to Thunderbird for you too:

1. Layout and UI
  2. Most Popular Features
  3. Cost

1. Layout and User Experience

The biggest Thunderbird vs. Mailbird difference is that the former is not being updated anymore. Also, it is known for its cluttered and bloated layout and UI, making it rather complicated for new and even existing users to handle the software.

Sure, if you use software on a daily basis you eventually learn how to get around it — in fact, that’s even the case with rocket science. But is that the best utilization of your time? Software and apps in this day and age should be intuitive enough to not have a learning curve, so spending a few days unraveling the mystery of using an email client seems like we’re technologically pushing you back to the early 2000s.

Lack of simplicity, a clean UI, and an intuitive UX are the main reasons people start searching for a replacement for Thunderbird. Email clients such as Mailbird feature an easy-to-use interface, enabling users to master it in less than five minutes (not days).

User Experience

User experience is the little details you don’t recognize consciously but that intuitively guide you to use the software.

Mailbird has many such small elements. Let’s look at examples –

Example #1 – Let’s say you’re a Dropbox user and you activated the Dropbox app from your Mailbird App Store. Apart from looking at your Dropbox app by clicking on the Dropbox icon in the bottom left, the only other place you’ll find it is when you’re composing a new email or replying to one. It shows up like this –

Attach files from Dropbox into Mailbird emails

Dropbox in Mailbird compose window

And when clicked upon, it opens the Dropbox file explorer for you to select files to be attached.

Example #2 – You might think Mailbird does not offer as many features and functionalities as Thunderbird. Otherwise, the inbox and menu would look the same, right? That is not quite correct.

Instead of filling the interface with lots of buttons and options, we hid them to show up on certain user actions. If you look at how emails are stacked in Mailbird, it looks just like any other email program, but when you hover over the profile picture of an email message, an action bar shows up on top, which makes it easier for you to deal with it.

You can even click on the profile picture of an email message, and it will show you all the emails you’ve exchanged with the person. Such features make you wonder, “Why use Thunderbird anymore?”

Mailbird Quick Action Bar

Inbox – Mozilla Thunderbird

Layout and UI

In Mailbird, you can customize the layout and color theme, personalizing your inbox.

Mailbird - the best replacement for Thunderbird

Multiple sidebar color options

Multiple layout options

2. Most Popular Features

In order to find the perfect alternative to Thunderbird, people tend to only look for ones that have exactly the same features as their current email client, regardless of whether or not those features will actually be used.

Mailbird has integrated the standard features users know from Thunderbird, and the client also offers special Mailbird-only features that have not yet been implemented by any other email app. These features include a quick preview of attachments, a speed reader, LinkedIn lookup, snooze, and many others.

Integration with Third-Party Apps

An additional feature that differentiates Mailbird from other email clients is the integration of a variety of popular apps, turning Mailbird into a true all-in-one communication hub by combining email, messaging, task management, calendars, and video meetings in the most effective way possible for the user.

Mailbird’s all-star developer team continues to add and improve these features requested by you. Think Mailbird needs a certain feature to convince you to switch? We have a Mailbird Feature Request forum where you can submit your ideas.

Imagine working like a productivity machine through your email, while also being able to jump on a call without having to switch to a browser or another software. It’s not just convenient but also way more efficient. In Mailbird, as the best Thunderbird replacement, you have all your communication power tools in one place. In the Mailbird vs. Thunderbird battle, the former is the absolute winner, thanks to this feature.

Featured apps include:

• Task management apps and tools, like Todoist, Moo.do, Evernote, and Asana, can easily be activated in your Mailbird AppStore.Inbox, calendar, and third-party apps are combined in one place
  • Video meeting apps, such as Whereby and Veeting Rooms, allow you to easily jump on a call or virtual meeting, without having to leave your Inbox.
    Veeting Rooms – have a virtual Meeting without leaving your email client
  • Calendar apps, like Google Calendar and Sunrise Calendar, give you a nice overview of your upcoming appointments and enable you to schedule appointments from your Mailbird.
    Sunrise Calendar – plan your day from your inbox

3. Cost

Mailbird has four different pricing options to choose from. Depending on the number of accounts and your actual email needs, Mailbird has the perfect plan for you, which may include:

1. Mailbird Personal Yearly
  2. Mailbird Personal Pay Once
  3. Mailbird Business Yearly
  4. Mailbird Business Pay Once (on request only)

Mailbird gives you a free trial when you install it for the first time. This is a great chance to find out if Mailbird Business is the right choice for you.

Still have questions before downloading Mailbird? Our team is always there to help you out. Shoot us an email to support@getmailbird.com or tweet us @getmailbird. We are ready to help you and to answer every single one of your questions. That’s a great value that comes with Mailbird — direct responses and feedback to help you through your email, communication, and communication management needs.

Ready to make the switch to the best alternative to Thunderbird? Simply start downloading Mailbird! You’ll just love it.

Mailbird vs. Thunderbird. Give It a Free Try Now!

Try Mailbird Free

Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in July 2015 and has been updated for accuracy and comprehensiveness.

What email is better than Thunderbird?

There are several email clients that come with more advanced features and are easier to use than Thunderbird. One such client is Mailbird — a powerful and user-friendly email client with features for conveniently managing multiple email accounts.

Is Thunderbird discontinued?

Yes, it is. Back in 2014, Mozilla Corporation decided to stop working on Thunderbird and handed it off to the community. However, even though they are not updating this client anymore, Mozilla Foundation still supports it.

If you’re looking for a supported email client, download Mailbird and try its functionality made for productive email management.

Which free email is best?

There are several excellent free email clients. Here are the most popular ones:
– Gmail
– Zoho
– Mail.com
– Yahoo! Mail
– Microsoft Outlook
– ProtonMail
– GMX Mail

What is wrong with Thunderbird?

Since Mozilla Corporation discontinued Thunderbird in 2014, the client has had many issues. The most common are: not receiving new emails, trouble with sending emails, and functionality issues. You can overcome Thunderbird’s drawbacks by using Mailbird.

Is Mozilla Thunderbird safe to use?

Yes, Thunderbird is a moderately safe and highly reputable program. However, it does have one issue. Since this email client was discontinued in 2014, users are likely to experience many issues while using it. On the other hand, the Mailbird email client is continuously supported and upgraded with new features.

Marketing Manager

Published on July 29, 2020

RELATED ARTICLES

33 thoughts on "Why Is Mailbird the Best Alternative to Thunderbird in 2020?"

• @blackdragon

Tim Beckwith says:

Uh, so just to clarify, Mailbird only runs on Windows computers, right? Those of us who split our work and attention between Windows and Linux will need to continue using Thunderbird on our Linux machines?

• Hey Tim, yeah at the moment Mailbird is available only on Windows. But do you mind sharing why you are using Windows and Windows? Do you have to use one for work for example or do you choose to use both? I don’t mean to be smart about it, I am genuinely interested. Have great day:D

Tim Beckwith says:

Christin —

I believe you meant to ask, “… why are you using Windows and Linux?”

Well, I’m 66 years old, retired, and can do as I please. Before retiring I spent many years in the California State Service setting up PC systems, teaching people how to use them, and supervising staff who set up and maintained computer systems. The vast majority of those systems were Windows based and much of my work work [documentation and training] was done using Windows applications. But I also spent some time designing and developing applications based on Unix, the for runner of today’s Linux.

Today’s Linux is much better than the older Unix system I worked in, just as today’s Windows 8.1 (soon to be Windows 10) is better than the Windows 3.1 I cut my teeth on. I just really like to keep up on the latest systems and take turns doing my work in both Windows and Linux. I find it a fun and interesting challenge.

BTW, I have downloaded and installed Mailbird on my Windows side of my PC and am finding it really enjoyable. I even bought a yearly license for it. It is better than Thunderbird, but I will still keep using that product when I am logged in and doing work on my Linux side. Primarily so I can keep up with my flood of email without having to log out of Linux then log into Windows just to check my mail.

Take care. Have a good day.

• Hey Tim,
          yes, I meant Windows and Linux;-)
          Thanks so much for your feedback and even more for your awesome support!
          Have a great week and please let us know, if you ever come across any issues you may need help with.

luvallcomputers says:

I am adding my comments because I too work with both windows and linux. I work in a shop that is total windows and use it at work. I like the updated features that linux kubuntu has and use it on my home computer. I move between the two because I was tired of paying Microsoft every year to get the new OS. Linux also updates twice a year so I have the latest features available. Linux does have a learning curve at first but the newest linux software is so much better now. I have moved from version 5.? too 18.10 and I have tried 19.04 so as you can see I have been using it for some time. Just thought I would put in my two cents worth.

Michael shergold says:

Why is it not easier to import Address books WAB and PAB into Mailbird.. I am looking for a Thunderbird replacement and this seems the most likely but……

StarGazerRose says:

I’ve been searching for another mail client other than Thunderbird. I’ve tried 3 others and they just don’t compare. A feature I am in dire need of, that NO one else seems to have, is the Message Filter. I can set certain message to go to a specific folder, send straight to trash (those junk emails no longer bother me), and also auto tag/highlight so that I don’t miss them. and there is a whole list I haven’t even touched.
    I would love to give mailbird a try, but without that Message Filter option i will most likely switch back.

Doan Minh Tu says:

Agreed, these new competitor can boast all they like about interfaces, integration and other fancy stuff but without portability and filter they are nowhere close to the lame old thunderbird.
      Batch operations wasn’t even working properly. What’s the use of your “8 different fancy layout” if the core functions was not even implemented properly.

Esko Kyykkä says:

Tried it. Startup was easy enough, showed messages. I was happy. Then I tried to select 3 messages to delete them. Failed. Mailbird kept resetting my selections making it impossible to multiselect anything. Deleted those messages one by one. Worked with other stuff for a while, then noticed there was an email I wanted to read. Clicked on it. Clicked again. Clicked once more. Hmm, nothing. Decided to close the application. Noticed there was still an icon in the systray. Went there, rightclick, exit. It’s still there. Tried a few times more. Decided I’ve had viruses that act nicer than this, force killed it, uninstalled the software and I’m going to keep on looking. If only Thunderbird worked well on Windows 10. Or maybe I should just format and go back to Win7. That at least works.

Bronek Kozicki says:

Like Tim I use both Linux and Windows, and I want to have access to my email from both. Is Mailbird well-behaved enough to share a profile with Thunderbird, or will I have to download my emails twice, each to its own data store? FWIW I use IMA4 extensively, but also NNTP and local folders in Thunderbird. My profile is close to 4GB in size and Thunderbird handles it just fine, but it might be a challenge for other program.

• I was going to try this but I am on Ubuntu, and with Ubuntu 16.04 coming out, Windows 10 is just a horrible product in comparison. Most people want security and safty on their computers and not hand over all their information to Microsoft including personal folders, and all emails which is what Windows 10 does.

If this is offered for Linux I will pay for one year and try it thought. Hopefully they offer to pay in Bitcoin also.

Christopher Thomas says:

No Mac support is a show stopper for me, I wanted an alternative to Thunderbird, but if this is a Windows only program, it’s out of the running already. Pity, because it looks fantastic, just a shame that it’s not available on multiple platforms.

I don’t think you can claim this is a thunderbird alternative until you can support at least two of the platforms it supports.

• And I just made a donation for you, from my paypal…you deserve it guys….Peter

• Can I just say something…. I just tried Mailbird and this is the best email client I have ever seen. I really love love love it. Tried the whatssap app within Mailbird and that’s it you`ve got a new very very excited client.And as for the facebook app you added to it ….what the hell…I`ve not seen this anywhere else other than mailbirf. YOU ROCK!!! You did a wonderful job. I will buy the lifetime licence for sure. This email client licence costs 45 dollars but every dollar is worth it. I will recommend you to everyone I know. And I`m very sure they will love your Mailbird same as I do. The only thing you could do is add mega cloud app or extension similar to dropbox. If you had that I would not have problem to pay 60 dollars for this supersoftware.Im on windows 10 and runs it runs like swiss clocks…. Hats off. 5 STARS JOB…Peter…

• I’m big fan of freeware, but 3 accounts in free version is a discriminating limitations that successfully prevents me to even try it out.

Antonio Loga says:

Los primeros 3 meses ame mailbird, 6 meses después ya no estoy tan seguro. Con las actualizaciones no puedo visualizar de manera correcta los contenidos de los correos que me envian, desacomoda los correos y su herramienta de búsqueda deja mucho que desear al solo limtarse al nombre de las cuentas de correo electronico. Le di la oportunidad y promete mucho, pero llevo 6 meses esperando un cambio y ya me canse.

Marc Scattolin says:

“Thunderbird is not being updated anymore and it is known for its cluttered and bloated layout and UI, making it rather complicated for new and even existing user to handle the software.”
    False. Thunderbird is receiving updates https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mozilla_Thunderbird. And I quite like Thunderbird’s look, thank you very much. This UI looks good (it isn’t flat design, but still quite nice, IMO), but Thunderbird is hardly “difficult” to use. I haven’t needed dropbox, facebook, etc. integration. This does look nice, but I see no reason for me to switch, but I can see that others would like this much better.

What’s up with your Thunderbird screenshot? Purposely low-resolution? E-mail opened up at the side for some reason? Cropped screenshot? If you’re going to screenshot both of them, at least give each a fair shot.

fixitman arizona says:

LIARS.
      You KNOW Thunderbird is STILL being updated, and yes it STILL works on Linux (and other OS’s) for free, rather than this mailbird thing for a monthly fee, or 40 bucks or something. Well, sorry, your 50% off doesn’t beat Thunderbird’s free. Oh, and I can’t use this Mailbird nativly on Linux? Are you kidding? Thunderbird:
      Version 68.4.2, first offered to channel users on January 24, 2020.
      Oh, and yes you CAN make a donation to the project but it’s not required to pay anything to make it work. And you can install it from repos instead of downloading.

• How can any client that doesn’t have Linux and Mac support be called forward thinking?

• is free but not totally free, just a little free. if you want more pay … sales policy – management

• it is not , because, first thunderbird does not impose a limit on free accounts , even though it’s understandable the reasons why Mailbird does it. Second, Still after all this years … ” there’s still encrypted communication with 94.231.106.126. Funnily enough that same IP resolves to magicalmailapp.com which was the domain that Mailbird previously used to leak data. I can’t say what they are sharing, but surely the opt-out is not completely opting you out. ” Source: http://cubiq.org/the-best-email-clients-for-windows-2016

• Very frustrating to not only have ads turn on WITH SOUND that distracts you and anyone in earshot, but to not get responses to questions tells me the company has Customer Service issues. Would love to have used them, but after several requests for answers and no response…over to Thunderbird I guess.

• Fail to see how the user experience is better. I have to manually delete spam messages as you have “still” yet to implement native spam filtering.

Having a mark as spam option is an absolute shocker. Might as well just rename it click here it does nothing.

• You are comparing a cross plattformer with your crippled-user-interface-and-windows-only-thing. lol. no, thanks…

• I find it surprising that you readily compare mailbird with Thunderbird, considering that the cross-platform availability is one of the key features of Thunderbird. Why don’t you advertise it as a “better than Outlook”?

BTW, I’ve been on Linux for over a decade, but use Mac and Windows on a regular basis. An OS is supposed to stay out of my way, to allow me to do the real work. From that point of view, Linux is as good as Mac and Windows (if not better).

• Hi Michael,

Thank you for sharing your thought. As it mentions, we only highlighted this area. Layout & UI, Most Popular Features, and Cost. Yes, right now cross-platform not available, but it’s already in our roadmap. So, there is a possibility that someday Mailbird will be much better also compare to other email clients. 🙂

Before we move to another OS, our current goal is to release a perfect flawless version for Windows. Have a nice day. 🙂

• At the beginning of this page you state –

“Now that Mozilla has abandoned Thunderbird, it’s time to move on to the best alternative …”

According to Mozilla –

“Moving to MZLA Technologies Corporation will not only allow the Thunderbird project more flexibility and agility, but will also allow us to explore offering our users products and services that were not possible under the Mozilla Foundation. The move will allow the project to collect revenue through partnerships and non-charitable donations, which in turn can be used to cover the costs of new products and services.

Thunderbird’s focus isn’t going to change. We remain committed to creating amazing, open source technology focused on open standards, user privacy, and productive communication. The Thunderbird Council continues to steward the project, and the team guiding Thunderbird’s development remains the same.

Ultimately, this move to MZLA Technologies Corporation allows the Thunderbird project to hire more easily, act more swiftly, and pursue ideas that were previously not possible.”

Why spout BS to hype your product?

PS – given a choice, no one in their right mind would run Windows over Linux.

• Andrew @ Mailbird
      Andrew @ Mailbird says:

Hello! Thank you for your comment. When we have created and published this post the information was up to date, but it seems things changed over time. Please accept our apologies for any confusion caused – we’ll make sure to update the article very soon. Thank you.

• In the version of this article that you Published on July 29, 2020
        you still talk about “Now that Mozilla has abandoned Thunderbird, it’s time to move on …”
        This is shady advertising.

• Hi Terz, our team that in charge will need time to update the article since we screening all the articles that available. Thank you for your patience. Have a nice day and stay safe.