Set an Awesome Email Background Image in Mailbird

Posted by Christin on September 15, 2020

How can you customize your email background?

Marketing Manager

Published on September 15, 2020

The future of consumer products is customization. From smartphones to apps to email clients, customizing products to function exactly as you want them, for example,  setting an awesome email background to brighten your mood, is part of a trend that has taken off and is here to stay.

Why has this happened? It’s no secret that using customization options increases a sense of ownership and, in turn, makes users feel loyal to the product. It also increases the value of your product for the user who needs to hit specific objectives. It’s easy to see why customization is ranked just as high as design, functionality, and ease-of-use.

Mailbird recognizes the need for personalization — and we’ve delivered. You asked for more customization, and we’ve provided you with the possibility to personalize your email interface.

New Mailbird Background Images

We are excited to announce our new, natural email background images to help you feel zen and reduce stress during your workday.

You can find them in the “Settings > Appearance > Background” section of your Mailbird app.

Incorporate customized backgrounds for Windows email through Mailbird

Use Any Image as Your Mailbird Background Image

With Mailbird, you can upload any image on your computer as a background for Windows email!  This makes your app’s appearance even more customizable and, we hope, improves your everyday experience with Mailbird.

Set any picture of your choice as your email background image

How To Add a Background Image in Mailbird:

1. Open the Mailbird email client
  2. Click on the menu, and select Settings
  3. Select the Appearance tab from the options menu
  4. In the Background section, click the first box with the “+” symbol (see image)

Add email background in the Appearance tab

1. You are presented with an explorer window with which to designate the image file you would like to use as your background.
  2. Find the image on your computer, select it, and click Open.
  3. That’s it! Feel free to adjust the theme color to suit your new email background.

Here are some hand-picked images, which would look great in your Mailbird email client, to help get you started!

Custom Theme Suggestions

1. #Radical
    1. http://moshlab.com/surfing-dewata-beach-travel-destination-bali-travel-wallpaper-images-free-hd-928883/
    2. http://moshlab.com/triumph-rocket-3-bike-wallpaper-hd-desktop-892988/
    3. http://moshlab.com/grand-canyon-sunset-wallpaper-hd-travel-for-desktop-mobile-background-3255288773/
  2. #Traveller
    1. http://moshlab.com/beautiful-tunnel-of-love-world-travel-wallpaper-images-hd-free-download-69002989384/
    2. http://moshlab.com/taj-mahal-india-travel-wallpaper-mobile-desktop-widescreen-33282872772/
    3. http://moshlab.com/colosseum-in-roma-wallpaper-travel-free-desktop-mobile-6772992883/
    4. http://www.wallpaperup.com/237095/nature_cloud_sunset_forest_landscape_fog_field_ultrahd_4k_wallpaper.html
  3. #Geek
    1. http://moshlab.com/star-wars-animated-background-desktop-8289082/
    2. http://moshlab.com/imperial-boy-anime-wallpaper-free-download-32288/
    3. http://forums.macrumors.com/attachments/n7odr2-jpg.371461/
    4. http://moshlab.com/playstation-game-controller-black-wallpaper-hd-free-desktop-mobile-4627837272/
  4. #Romantic
    1. https://visualhunt.com/photo/14446/close-up-of-blue-rose-with-dew/
    2. https://pixabay.com/en/rose-roses-flowers-red-valentine-374318/
    3. http://moshlab.com/sunset-beach-picture-wallpaper-free-272729/
    4. http://www.wallpaperup.com/wallpapers/download/311849/1440/900
  5. #Fun
    1. https://superhdwallpapers.site/funny-kitten-cat-wallpaper-180032/
    2. http://lh5.ggpht.com/-8WamaD0Zpp0/UR47Q0zmfVI/AAAAAAAACYs/DyhHPfBbFsc/s9000/blue-gracious-evil-black-cat-iphone-wallpaper-by-bgiormova.jpg

Early Days

Currently, any uploaded image will automatically resize to full-height to cover the sidebar window. It will also align left, meaning only the left-most portion of your images will be visible.

As more people use the custom email background image feature, and we get a better understanding of their needs, we will include more controls over images including things like resizing, panning, and more.

Other Mailbird Customization Features

Mailbird offers several other options to set up and personalize your interface. Do you prefer dark themes? No problem, Mailbird has a darker theme option and also lets you choose from a range of theme colors. You can even alter the view of your interface by putting it in a vertical or horizontal layout.

Do you like to receive sound notifications so you can respond to emails, calls, and chat messages immediately? You can customize your profile with message sounds to alert you when you receive a new message.

If you live overseas or work in a multi-language context, Mailbird offers Multi-language support for localization to connect to clients globally.

Please be sure to leave your feedback letting us know how we can improve email background customization. Also, we’d love to see your custom background images in Mailbird, so please post or share your screenshots on the social network of your choice! Don’t forget to ping us at @mailbird.

Get Mailbird, the best Windows app to manage all your email accounts!

Try Mailbird for Free

How do I add a background to my emails?

Here’s how to add a background image to a message in Outlook:
1. Open the Microsoft Outlook app.
2. In the message window, click on options.
3. Go to the themes group and choose fill effects.
Alternatively, you can use the Mailbird email client to customize your background themes.

Do background images work in Outlook?

Microsoft Outlook now supports CSS background images. Previously, the app only allowed table background images. With CSS background images, you can change your background attributes such as size and position.

How do I add a background on Gmail?

Here’s how to add an image of your choice as your background:
1. Click settings in Gmail.
2. In the theme section, click view all.
3. Choose a picture in My photos.
4. Click on Text Background to set it as your background.
Alternatively, you can use the Mailbird email client to customize your background themes on email.

How do I change my Gmail background on my phone?

Here’s how you can change your email theme:
1. In your smartphone, open the app.
2. Go to general settings.
3. Tap on a theme.
4. Choose system default, light or dark.
Mailbiard also allows you  to customize background themes on your phone.

Marketing Manager

Published on September 15, 2020

RELATED ARTICLES

24 thoughts on "Set an Awesome Email Background Image in Mailbird"

• In addition to backgrounds, being able to then adjust the text color would be nice too. Oh and Google Contacts integration, still waiting for that.

I like the recent improvements. Just a few things left now,…

Christopher S. Bates says:

I wish that you would get the contact sync working instead of focusing on things like this. I paid for Mailbird Pro because I believed it would become something good, but this missing feature is making me regret purchasing the product.

Dave Bristel says:

Mailbird has the alpha for Gmail contact sync either started, or just about to start. There were a few posts on the subject over the past six months, and as of two months ago, I started seeing Mailbird reps suggesting people can e-mail to be added to the alpha test phase for the new contact manager with gmail contact sync.

So, it SHOULD be available “soon”, the real key is that an ALPHA test implies things may break in horrible ways, meaning your gmail contacts could potentially get wiped out as a worst case. Beta is a lot safer, you might get crash issues, but you shouldn’t see true catastrophic problems the way an alpha test might.

Rich Harris says:

I can’t find anywhere that it states this, but is it possible to get the sidebar to have the same color and icon scheme as the mail window or is the look and feel of the content there determined 100% by the content origin?

Christin Baumgarten says:

Hey Rich, thanks for reaching out. The layout of the sidebar (right side) can’t be customised at this point. How would you suggest could one customise it?

Rich Harris says:

Thanks for getting back to me.
        For me, I don’t see it really working well to have images, like Captain Kirk above, somehow magically spanning across to the sidebar. But if someone, like myself, selects a simple color to be the theme, like orange, it would be awesome to have the sidebar (calendar) match. https://uploads.disquscdn.com/images/842bf0f2f6a2205cc75b6e79349664f389fc3445cd2e7b0a703beb5b9b257b3d.png

Christin Baumgarten says:

I see what you mean, thanks for sharing Rich:-) The thing is since we are using an API for the google calendar i.e. we cant really change the theme color. I will forward it to our UI designer though. Let’s see what he says and what he might be able to do about it. Have a great day and thanks so much for your feedback:-)

• Please allow the background image to remain in its original brightness, as it used to be.

This is one of my favourite features of Mailbird, even placing an image of my family to look at during the day. Thank you!

• Hey Darren, thanks for reaching out:-) We will remove the “dark filter” from the custom background image option and will also make it less dark for the ones that we are suggesting in-app.
      This will come with the next update:-)

• Since the update, the customised column has a dark filter that I cannot adjust, What should I do to remove that filter, it rather defeats the purpose of putting some personalised colour to the screen

• Hey Steve, we will remove the “dark filter” from the custom background image option and will also make it less dark for the ones that we are suggesting in-app.
      This will come with the next update:-)

Alan Sturgess says:

Since installing this update, I am unable to open mailbird on my desktop computer which is on Win10. I am able to access my emails on my Samsung phone. Can you please help?

• We are very sorry to hear that Alan. Can you please get in touch with our support (support(at)getmailbird(dot)com)? They will try to get to the source of the issue as fast as they can:-)

Cindy Wyckoff says:

I got the notification about new background images. I thought it meant we could upload more than one of our own images. I uploaded another image, but now the image I uploaded previously is gone. I don’t remember where I found it on my computer. I thought it would stay with the other images.

However, what I don’t like is that now my image has a dark overlay on it so I can’t really see the image. I used to have a beautiful bright beach scene, but now it’s just murky. Please let us adjust the overlay or change the color of it or the opacity. It’s not even worth having an image there if it’s hardly visible.

• Hi Cindy, thank you so much for your feedback.
      We do agree and will make some adjustments to the images that we are providing in our library. We will remove the overlay completely for custom images that you and other users are adding to their Mailbird:-)

• Thank you for looking at this feature, Cindy is 100% correct. Also, only able to set one image at a time, would be nice to be able to have a directory with Mailbird, so we can choose instead of going back to the pc dir and change photo. Thanks for all you do…

• Hi Normman, thank you for your feedback and for supporting us. Good news, the overlay will be completely removed for custom images on the next Mailbird update.

Regarding the image directory, I will share this with our engineering team, so they can take it as a consideration of future improvement.

• I love the new background but agree that the dark filter kind of defeats the purpose of the customizing. Also, I took a look at some of the suggested sites for wallpaper. The Moshlab site is up for sale. However, the Wallpaperup site has some amazing photos to suit everyone’s taste.

• Hi Roberta, thank you for your feedback and for supporting us. Good news, the overlay will be completely removed for custom images on the next Mailbird update. 🙂

• Can you make the background image cover also the right panel that you view mail in, so that when an email is not selected, you see the rest of the background image? Windows Mail does that.

• Hi Corey, while that feature isn’t currently in our development roadmap, I’ve shared this with our engineering team, so they can take it as a consideration for future Mailbird development. Have a nice day and stay safe.