Mailbird Updates you may have missed

Posted by Christin on January 12, 2017

Our developers are working super hard, like, really hard to make email not so bad anymore. Many improvements are made and updates implemented, which usually come unnoticed. Some of these include an improved avatar (aka profile picture) search for all your important contacts. Another is an improved drag and drop email function, performance with 64bit machines are examples of the constant, yet less noticeable, improvements our team is consistently working on.

For the more noticeable Mailbird developments that many of you find super awesome include:

1. Sharing Means Caring

End your friend, family and colleague‘s email struggles by using the ‘Invite Friends‘ option in the Mailbird menu. We mentioned the updated referral system in our last newsletter, so in case you missed it, now its super easy for you to get Mailbird Pro Lifetime for free.

Here’s how it works: https://www.getmailbird.com/new-way-get-mailbird-pro-free-life/

image 1

2. Join The Dark Side

Have sensitive eyes when working on a computer for too long? Did you know that Mailbird has a dark theme mode? Try it by simply going into the Mailbird menu > Settings > Appearance > Select ‘Dark Theme‘

image 2

3. Create New Thread

You can now change the subject of any reply or forwarded message and with that creating a new thread from it. You can create a new email thread now, when replying to any message in an email convo, change the subject line and voila! New email thread created. We call it “I just became awesome at email convo management!” Awesome.

newsletter2-newthread-24. That Special F1 Key Working Wonders Again

We gave the F1 key some life! Today, that special F1 key gives you immediate access to the Mailbird support team. We are here for you! Problems, questions, feedback? Hit that F1 key. Simple.

image 4

…And we have many more great things coming. Check out our New Years Resolutions to get an idea of what we have planned for 2017.

Any questions? Let us know in the comment section or shoot us an email.

You might also like...

32 thoughts on "Mailbird Updates you may have missed"

Reinaldo Martins says:

To be the best Mailbird need – Send Later Email, Smart Spam Assassin and Filter and Message is received.

Christin Baumgarten says:

Thanks for your feedback Reinaldo. Filters is on the roadmap for sure. We are still debating the send later option. As for now the users emails are not going through our servers. To be able to send them later means that the email client needs to save them on their server. We are not sure if the majority of our users would ok with that. What about you? Any concerns with that?

Mikołaj Klimczak says:

Allow me to cut in the discussion here: I would be the person who will oppose this “unsend” option, for exactly the reasons you mention. Not that I do not trust you, but because your server will be one more potentially vulnerable intermediary. I could only accept such innovation if I were able to switch it off in its entirety.

Christin Baumgarten says:

Thanks for your feedback Mikolaj, we really appreciate it. Just to avoid any confusion here. The “unsend” feature is already implemented and does not send any emails through our server. It basically “delay sends” your mails and thats why you are able to “get them back”. The other feature is “Send Later”. That would mean you could pick the time that the email is suppose to go out. And yes, if we do implement it, then we will definitely try to find a way that makes (almost) everyone happy:-) Thanks again for taking the time to share your thoughts:-) Have a great week:-)

• Hi Christin,

Believe it or not, I’ve just found a need for the Send Later option that Mailbird does not have. I’m not sure how it’s built, or how it’s set-up but I would assume the email can be stored on the individual computer until it’s ready to send. Obviously it’s not amazing because sending at 5am when your computer is turned off, won’t work, but at the same time as a user I don’t expect my email to be sent unless Mailbird is open. Mailbird doesn’t advertise any cloud type features, so I don’t except it to be working in the background if my computer is off.

Though it would be nice to have some kind of import/export feature of accounts/settings because that initial set-up for multiple computers is time consuming, especially if you have to set-up 10 email accounts.

Christin Baumgarten says:

Hey, thanks for reaching out:-) Yes, we are still debating on whether to implement it or not. The way it works is that emails would have to be saved on our server and go out at the time scheduled. As for now no emails are going through our server and we would expect many of our current users complain if we would change that. Therefore we are not quite sure if to implement it or not.

As for the import/export feature there is a way to overwrite the database in your new device. For that I would ask you to get in touch with our support(at)getmailbird.com to ensure you get a detailed step by step description of how to do that without loosing any data.

• Hi Christin,

Why do they need to go through your mail server?

Christin Baumgarten says:

Hey:-) Mailbird only sends out emails when it is online. So in order to being able to go out at any time scheduled (also when Mailbird is offline or off) the mail would need to go from the server.

Therefore it would need to be saved from the time you “send” it until it is actually being scheduled to be sent out.
            I hope that made sense:-) If you would like to get more details on that, please don’t hesitate to reach out to our support(at)getmailbird.com. They will be happy to give you more technical background explanations:-)

• Thanks for clarifying Christin.

Can we not reply on the email client to do this and expect that if the client is not open, it won’t send? For example, Outlook you must leave the client open to send delayed email, otherwise the emails do not get sent.

• emClient has a Delayed Send feature–it sits in the outbox until the date/time is reached. Without delayed send functionality, mailbird is of no value to me in the way I have to work.

Christin Baumgarten says:

Hi Ed, yes we are aware of the feature. In order to send it out with the email client / computer being switched off, the email will need to be saved on our server. Currently your the emails are not running through our servers at all. So, we need to see if we will need to determine the demand of the feature first taken that we would have to implement those changes. Thanks for your feedback and have a great start to the new year:-)

Christin Baumgarten says:

Yes, I understand. Somehow it would take the whole sense of the send later feature, if the client has to be running doesn’t it? But its great input and I will forward your feedback to our devs as they were discussing exactly those points. Have a great day:-)

Oliver Villar says:

I’m an extensive user of send later. I work many times at unholy hours and I prefer my clients to get my emails during the day. To keep everybody happy, maybe you could only send scheduled emails through your server, so people against it could just disable that feature 😛

Devon Thomas says:

Christin,
        +1 – Send later is an essential feature in modern email clients, especially one that works around the clock. Keep it on your server, just take the proper precautions to keep the data secure. I don’t think debating the technical significance of a separate server to individuals who didn’t immediately identify that as a prerequisite going into this conversation is probably not a great use of your time. Implement the feature, change your privacy policy, and address the small few who actually care what’s going on behind the scenes after the feature is launched.

• Hi Team,

I appreciate the hard work that you guys are putting into the product in order to make it more user friendly and popular. As a SaaS service provider, one must concentrate on making the product ‘more simple to use’ for customers and you people are constantly thriving towards that.

Well done!

Christin Baumgarten says:

Thanks so much for your awesome feedback Scott! Please keep it coming and let us know, should you have any questions regarding Mailbird:-)

John Wishart says:

Mailbird performed an update on my PC today. Since then I have been unable to send messages. They go to the Drafts folder and stay there. Please advise. [email protected]

• I have few suggestions:
    1) option to increase zoom level in email-lists
    2) dark theme applicable to email viewer as well

Alex Mooney says:

Currently a customer. I thought Mailbird had the send later functionality already included. Disappointing that it is not. It’s a simple feature that people can make use of if they leave their computers on 24 hours a day like I do. Costs nothing to leave my laptop on all day with mailbird open, I’d like mailbird to send emails for me if I’m out on the weekend or whatever, mailbird is still working for me and making my life easier. That’s the whole point of mailbird I think, it’s to make life easier for the premium users such as I. Boomerang does this but it’s not for company emails unless going through gsuit or whatever.

Simply add the send later feature which requires the computer and mailbird to be open. Right now I have created software to click the send button at a specific time which kind of looks bad when it would be an easy feature to add to mailbird.

• Hang tight! I know it is an awesome feature – we have prioritized some other pressing features that are a must have and affect a large % of our users. SO bare with us please! Thanks so much Alex. I replied to your other comment about this too 🙂

Alex Mooney says:

Thank you. Appreciate you getting back to your customers! +1 there. ETA or other documentation regarding this on the roadmap would be appreciated.

• Of course! we will always try to do our best to keep all our Mailbird fans informed 🙂

Some updates from this year on Mailbird include:
          1) Exchange mail support
          2) Contact exchange support
          3) New website
          4) Improved top bar with all actions you want to take with email

And now we are working on:
          1) Native calendar
          2) Mailbird for Android
          3) Advanced search
          4) Moving mail between accounts (ideal for many business users we’ve been speaking with)
          5) Rules
          6) Filters

…..and more to come! Stay tuned. We are taking extra care attention to detail in delivering the best unified email experience to you with Mailbird!!

• Excellent communications!

To help with prioritization, I want to echo the request for “Send Later” functionality. Also the enhancements for email rules and filtering from within the client (rather than on the server). I’m sure you’re balancing your efforts in areas that will make the most impact, so there’s my input 🙂

Take care!

• Hi Rod, thanks for your message. One of the main reasons why we don’t have features like ‘send later’ and ‘out of office replies’ is the users emails are not going through our server. In order for messages to be scheduled at a later time, the email will need to be saved on the server and send out whenever the user set it to be sent. Therefore we are still debating whether or not to work on features like that because we would have a lot of users that would not like their emails to be saved on a different server. Nevertheless, we are considering it and might add it to the roadmap at some point. Thanks again for reaching out and have a great rest of the week.

Alexander Mooney says:

emclient doesn’t send mail through their servers either but they have a send later feature. People using mailbird are professionals whom for the most part keep their computers turned on. Send later doesn’t need to go through your servers it just needs to send out while mailbird is running.

I’ve been using mailbird for some time but i’ve seen the “We need to send mail through our servers” reply quite a few times and it seems like that would be the perfect way to do things but you’ll never be perfect. You however are better than the other email clients I’ve used which is great. “em”‘s community voted on it, I think you should prioritize your current customers’ over improving your conversions with a new website or a native calendar. I don’t think the native calendar is the way to go either with more and more homes including the Google Home I as well as a lot of other businesses I know use it to sync their google calendars I don’t think it would be useful unless you had that type of integration.

Don’t get me wrong you guys do a lot better job marketing but being in the trend is helpful instead of behind the curve when it comes to wanted features.

~INCLUDE the SEND LATER feature!~

• Hi Alexander,
          thanks so much for your feedback. That is very interesting and proves that different users have completely different perceptions of the same feature. The majority of users asking for the send later feature, would like the emails to go out while they are not on their PC. Maybe during the night or outside of their shifts. For those the implementation based on your explanation would therefore be completely unusable for them:-) We have a few other great features in the pipeline and will love to get your feedback on that. Have a great day and thanks again for your feedback, we love hearing more about why and how users are using certain features:-)

• A send later would be definitively a killer feature for me, and the main reason I used Newton mail (and maybe I will agian). I mean while my notebook is off (if my notebook stays on I can use other ways for sending later).

About the concern that mails going through your server might be vulnerable for hackers or privacy sensitive you could implement it in the following way:

1. Only send mails through your server which are marker for “send later”. All other mails can ve send imeediately through the normal SMTP server.

2. Encrypt these “send later” mails before sending to your server, and store them encrypted teporarily, until the time they need to be relayed. Then decrypt them and send them righ-away through your mail SMTP server.

3. After delivery confirmation delete the record(s) from your server.

In that way privcay or security risks are minimized.

Is this an idea?

• Thank you so much for your suggestions, Henk!
      We do not have any servers and no mail is going through it. All what Mailbird does is deliver emails from your email server to your PC.